OK, OK.. I was kind of kidding with that GTA review earlier. I was obviously saying all the shit that little fan boys who are never satisfied with anything would say. Today, I wanna do a review of another very popular game: Beyond Two Souls.
Now, to be honest from the very beginning I am not really a fan of this new trend with some games like Beyond Two Souls or Heavy Rain where the game itself is more watched than it is played. The reason for that is.. well, they are GAMES. I expect TO PLAY THEM. I want to have control over the events to a certain degree.
But in these type of games you don't really get that, I mean you do get to move your character around and interact with some objects, but almost all of that is limited to waiting for on-screen promts to actually be able to do something. And when you do get to perform an action it requires no more than pressing a button or two.
These kind of games focus on graphics and story and are usually presented in a movie-like experience (just look at that poster above).
I don't even need to mention it, the graphics are phenomenal. Considering this is a PS3 exclusive that shouldn't surprise anyone as PS3 exclusives have had some really great graphics. And since this is a game that focuses a lot on the character's emotions there is great facial animation too (I dare not compare it to LA Noire just yet).
Along with the whole movie feels comes great acting and voice acting. And a lot of scenes where emotions fly all over the screen...
So why do I hate this game?
Well.. IT IS NOT A GAME. I mean sure, it is technically a piece of interactive software that we call video games, but it simply isn't interactive enough to make it a game in my eyes. Though it is better than Heavy Rain in that regard.
See there are two sides to this game, one where you simply play as the main character and are unable to do barely anything, and another where you play as Aiden.. her spirit or something.. where you can take over other character's bodies, move objects etc.. Now it does make for some fun while trying to confuse the NPC's with Aiden, but pretty soon their reactions get old.
You don't really get that much of a choice. For example you need to distract a guard. You'll usually have only one real option that the game intended for you and then a few others that are ''wrong'' or won't lead to the desired result.
All in all, this is a piece of work that is a fine interactive software with a story I won't yet judge, though it is filled with a lot of cliches and overly emotional moments that don't really evoke emotions in me when they are supposed to. I guess I see them as shallow attempts at making a deep story.
Props for making a nice looking game, with some great animations (that are also stiff at some moments). But as a game I would give this a 5/10. It can have it's fun moments and will entertain you to some extent but it is clearly meant for a certain kind of audience and I guess I'm not one of those.

Nema komentara:
Objavi komentar