Now, let me start of with a little bit of history that I have with PES. I've first started playing in years and years ago (1998 to be exact) when it was still called ISS. I was a kid back then, enjoyed watching my first World cup in France and PS came along with this game that fulfilled all our childish dreams of playing a World cup game.
Of course that was some 15 years ago, the graphics compared to nowdays are shit.. but we were kids, we knew no better and we completely enjoyed it.
Years passed and I kept following this franchise. Eventually I learned of another franchise called Fifa. I tried it a few times but the control scheme seemed a bit complicated (a result of being adjusted to PES for a long time) so I kept myself away from Fifa almost completely.
PES on the other hand had some good games, but it also had some lows like PES 5 where judges would give you hell. But it was always fun and that's what kept me going..
And that's where we come to PES 2014. It's been hyped by Konami to be a revolution in PES series. A completely new engine for the first time after PES 2008. New animations, new physics for the ball, new ragdoll animations for the players that are calculated rather than pre-recorded.... it all sounded very good. PES looked and sounded like a winner... but, there's always that little catch.. so I remained cautious.
Finally it was released and... well... let's just say it didn't quite meet the expectations. Yes, the animations are better, graphics is improved.. but that's all on the visual side of the game. Audio, like every PES is nothing to be praised. Commentators seem even worse this year than previously and menu music is just some random songs Konami picked.
One thing that needs to be praised is their attempt to include more licensed teams and leagues. That gives the game some width that it severely lacked compared to Fifa's huge choice of available teams.
But, what about the gameplay.. that most important thing in any game, especially a sports game like PES where there is no story to save you (like in Beyond: Two Souls). There is only one answer and I will deliver it in a visual form...
![]() | |
| WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO PES KONAMI???? |
Yup.. that is the only reaction you can have as soon as you start the first match. Players instantly feel very unresponsive and passing is simply hilarious.. they send the ball wherever they seem to think it should be sent.. which is always a wrong decision.
If you just sit back and watch a match (something I've done ever since PES 3, I always let the computer play a Brazil VS France match on highest difficulty before playing one myself) you'll notice how ridiculous is the player positioning. They seem to stick to their zone and not even think of running towards the ball even when it goes right next to them.
Attacking is therefore much more frustrating as you teammates don't really follow the action and then they're pretty slow to go to back when needed in defense. But the worst part is the feel you get when you're running with a ball and when trying to shoot/pass it.
What once felt like a tight and fun thing to do is now like walking on thin ice.. sorry Konami, you failed this year. Guess it time to try Fifa once more. Hopefully they have normal control options or I'll be out of my soccer game fix this year.

Nema komentara:
Objavi komentar